No New COVID-19 Cases Reported Wednesday in Brantford-Brant

The Brant County Health Unit is reporting the number of positive cases of COVID-19 remains unchanged at 108, with no new cases of the virus declared on Wednesday. The number of resolved cases is 94. There have been four COVID-19 related deaths and three patients are being treated in
hospital.


The Haldimand Norfolk Health Unit is also reporting no new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday. That area has a total of 216 cases, including 96 recoveries and 31 deaths.

Provincially, 292 new COVID-19 cases have been reported and 32 more deaths. This is the second consecutive day of new cases below 300.
The province now has 26,483 total cases, including 20,372 recoveries, 2,155 centrally-reported deaths, and approximately 3,956 cases that remain active. Wednesday’s tally is just five more cases than Tuesday’s case disclosure, which was the lowest Ontario has seen since the end of March.

The province is taking over the management of five additional long term care homes after a scathing military report on conditions in the facilities. Tuesday’s report revealed the grim state inside the facilities. The report claims that there are staffing shortages, lack of personal protective equipment, bug infestations, old food trays left stacked inside residents’ rooms, and patients observed crying for help with staff unresponsive.

Last month Canadian soldiers were sent to the long-term care facilities in Ontario to help staff struggling to deal with severe COVID-19 outbreaks resulting in resident deaths. Based on two weeks of observation, the CAF says they identified a number of medical, professional, and technical issues at all five homes. Premier Doug Ford says the province is moving to take over these five homes in the face of the accusations and he won’t hesitate to pull operators’ licenses or shut the homes down if necessary.


Six teams, of two inspectors each, will be deployed to those homes. They will undertake “expanded and rigorous inspection and monitoring of these homes for two weeks,” Ford says.

The provincial government is extending all emergency orders in Ontario for another two weeks. Current emergency orders, including a ban on social gatherings of more than five people, will be in place until June 9th. The directive also means playgrounds and public swimming pools will remain closed. Bars and restaurants in the province are still banned from offering dine-in service. Premier Doug Ford says he is extending these emergency orders to protect the health and safety of all individuals and families as the province reopens gradually. A State of Emergency was originally declared on March 17th.